12 March 2009



I'm back for a second day - hopefully I can keep this up. After spending all of yesterday in a cramped office space with oh-so-lovely fluorescent lighting I managed to sneak away and work out before going home. Even though I have the most convenient set up in terms of working/working out it's still hard to find time with class, paper writing, and everyday life.

Last night I gave a new recipe a try....Lemon Orzo with Mushrooms and Pine Nuts. For fun I added shrimp as well. It actually turned out pretty well...I need a strainer with smaller holes for the orzo pasta, so I had to attempt the using the lid as a strainer method. everything ended up okay though and it made enough for four people. The original recipe didn't call for cheese, but I definitely recommend using about 1/2 cup of Parmesan. mhmmmm yum.

Lemon Orzo with Mushrooms and Pine Nuts
Adapted from Rachel Ray Magazine

Ingredients

-1 lb orzo pasta
-3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
-3/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
-2 lemons, juice of
-1 lemon, zest of
-2 (6 ounce) white mushrooms, sliced (depending)
-1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-10 medium/large shrimp
-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
-Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orzo until al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Stir in toasted pine nuts, parsley, lemon juice, lemon peel, and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

Lightly coat skillet with olive oil and set stove to high heat until rippling. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. If using pre-cooked shrimp add them to the Orzo mixture. After mushrooms have cooked add them to Orzo mixture.

Note: Because I didn't have the right strainer my pasta was left with a bit more water than usual, therefore I did not use the called for amount of olive oil - just a drizzle. I suspect that with the proper strainer you would not come across this problem. I'd recommend adding a bit of olive oil and going from there - depending on how oily you want your pasta to be.

Serve and eat!

No comments: